Welcome to our Alaska crossbow hunting regulations guide. We have created this page to help you quickly figure out whether it’s legal to use a crossbow for hunting purposes in this state, and also to provide you with any requirements and restrictions that might apply. We feel obligated however to remind you that the information below may not be completely accurate or up to date; regulations change constantly, and we cannot guarantee to keep up with all these changes, so please make sure to double check everything you read below and preferably contact a governmental institution to confirm.
Make sure to checkout our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Hunting Regulations in Alaska
A crossbow can be used to hunting in Alaska in any hunt which does not clearly restrict the use of weapons. A crossbow is not considered belonging to the archery group in Alaska, and hence it cannot be used to in hunts which are restricted only to bows and arrow, unless you have a disability permit.
For hunting big game, your crossbow must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 100 lbs. draw weight
- A minimum of 14″ power stroke
- The arrows must be at least 16″ in length
- Broad-heads must be used (no field points)
- Total weight of the arrow with the head must be a minimum of 300 grain
- The use of barbed broadheads is strictly prohibited, however expandable broadheads are legal in Alaska
- The only electronic parts that can be attached to your hunting crossbow are an electronic sight or scope, and it’s illegal to have a scope which emits any light in front of the crossbow.
We Appreciate Your Help
We always do our best to make sure the regulations and references provided above are relevant and as current as possible. As much as we try, however, it is likely that we might have missed something, forgotten to include an important detail, or simply missed a recent legal update that might have changed the current crossbow hunting situation in Alaska. This is why we ask that you kindly inform us if you notice anything that needs changing, updating or removing. We strongly rely on your help to keep this resource updated, and we will be more than grateful for any tips and information.