The reference below should only be used as a guide and never as legal advice. We have tried to ensure that the content is accurate and current; however, we may have missed an update. You should ask your local state government or the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to verify all regulations concerning crossbow hunting laws. We are happy to help, if you do not know how.
Make sure to check out our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Regulations in Texas
It is now legal for anyone (not just the disabled) to hunt with a crossbow in Texas, during Archery Only season, general hunting season and Eastern spring turkey season. In the Dallas, Collin, Rockwall, and Grayson Counties, hunting with a crossbow is prohibited during archery only season in particular, unless you have a certified upper-limb disability; the disability must be severe enough to restrict you from using a longbow, compound bow or recurve.
- Individuals must purchase an archery stamp to harvest deer during the archery only open season. An archery stamp is always required in Dallas; Collin; Rockwall; and Grayson Counties to legally harvest deer.
- Crossbows must have a draw weigh which is not under 125 pounds.
- The stock of a crossbow must be at least 25 inches long.
- Crossbows must be equipped with a mechanical safety.
- Mechanical broadheads are legal.
- Bolts and/or arrows may not be treated with any type of chemical. It is illegal to equip them with explosive devices.
- Broadheads must be at least 7/8 of an inch wide upon impact. They must feature two cutting edges. Only broadheads which begin to open on impact are legal.
- Bolts and/or arrows which feature judo, field, or target points are legal in Texas.
- It is legal to use telescopic sights in the state of Texas.
- No artificial light, reflected or casted, which illuminates prey may be used to harvest game birds or animals. Certified vision disabled hunters may legally use battery scoping devices which project a dot or light inside the scope only. These hunters only may also legally use laser sighting devices or pin sights for archery equipment.
Please Assist Us
As mentioned we could have missed an update. If you find that we have, we would greatly appreciate you letting us know.
16 CommentsAdd a Comment
Thank you for the information. I am legally blind for a few years and wanted to hunt but couldn’t see to use a rifle. I almost gave up until I thought of cross bows. This truly helps with using battery scoping devices and laser sighting devices for those legally blind. This made my day. Thank you again and if you have any other info on visionary impaired individuals and cross bows please email me.
so if i read that right, ONLY the disabled can use crossbows?
No. Go back a.nd read the first sentence
I really appreciate the insight here in this post and wanted to say thank you for sharing it.
I’m a convicted felon on parole, and I’d like to hunt this deer season on my own property with a crossbow. Is this legel for me to do? Do I purchase a standard hunting license only? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
I am from the UK . Am I allowed to hunt with a crossbow in Texas?
No, only specific counties.
It is now legal for anyone (not just the disabled) to hunt with a crossbow in Texas, during Archery Only season, general hunting season and Eastern spring turkey season.
In the Dallas, Collin, Rockwall, and Grayson Counties, hunting with a crossbow is prohibited during archery only season in particular, unless you have a certified upper-limb disability; the disability must be severe enough to restrict you from using a longbow, compound bow or recurve.
What’s the minimum acres in Texas to deer hunt with a crossbow?
Read the first sentence again. It is now legal for anyone.
How far from my house do I need to be to Hunt with my crossbow , legally.
Is there a maximum draw weight for crossbows. The excalibur has draw weights 240+++
Read the regulations under update It is now legal for anyone (not just the disabled) to hunt with a crossbow in Texas”.
Can you use a crossbow in january to hunt whitetail
Can I shoot a pig or deer in Texas from a floating kayak?
Can you shoot a deer or a pig from a floating kayak in Texas?
How are air bows categorized? Firearm or “bow?”