Following this statement is a brief guide to the crossbow hunting regulations in the state of Virginia. We have tried to include all current and valid information available to us. We strive to ensure we do not lead hunters astray. This is why it is critical to verify the Virginia crossbow information below by calling the local state government or the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries before going out to hunt. We can help you make contact with the proper authorities, if you do not know how.
Make sure to check out our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Regulations in Virginia
- Crossbows may legally be used to hunt during the firearm and archery seasons. Hunters are required to purchase a crossbow permit to use one during the archery only season.
- Any individual under the age of 18 must successfully complete a two sectioned hunter education course before legally permitted to obtain a hunting license.
- It is illegal to harvest game on publicly owned lands on Sundays. This regulation is subject to all local ordinances. Check with local law enforcement departments or the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries for additional information on these specifics.
- It is legal to harvest game on privately owned lands with owner’s consent, except when it is within 200 yards of a church, place of worship, or any building thereof.
- Mechanical broadheads are legal in the state of Virginia.
- No one is permitted to discharge a crossbow over, from, or across any road; sidewalk; roadway; or alleyway.
- There is no current minimum draw weight in Virginia; however, archery tackle must be capable of casting an arrow featuring a broadhead no less than 125 yards.
- Broadheads must be at least 7/8 of an inch wide or shall expand to this width upon impact.
- Use of explosive arrow heads or those which have been chemically treaded is prohibited by law.
Assist Us in Helping You
We try to keep all of our guides updated on a routine basis. We do sometimes miss quick alterations for these regulations. Please contact our team by email, if you discover any errors in our content.