Crossbow Hunting Regulations in Colorado
We have diligently researched the information in the guide below for crossbow hunting regulations in the state of Colorado; however, these regulations and mandates are frequently updated. It is therefore altogether possible that we have missed one of these. It is very important to strictly adhere to all of these state regulation and best to check with your local government to ensure their accuracy before hunting. For more information on how to consult this entity you can contact us.
Make sure to checkout our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Regulations in Colorado
Crossbows may be used to hunt big game in Colorado during the general firearms season. They may also be used to hunt small game and fowl. Handicapped hunters only are legally allowed to use crossbows during archery season. All crossbow hunters must carry legal licenses or permits to do so.
- Big Game consists of elk, white tailed deer, moose, bear, and reindeer.
- Small game includes rabbits and squirrels.
- Game birds consist of pheasant, dove, quail, geese, and duck.
- Predators include cougars and coyotes.
- Hunting unprotected species such as varmints and vermin has no specified regulations in Colorado; however, these are subject to change at any time per animal censuses.
- Crossbow hunters must have a tag, which may be acquired with hunting permits and licenses, for each and every harvested animal.
- Remember that in some cases hunters may be required to have formal crossbow training before they may receive hunting permits.
- The minimum for bolt length is 16 inches
- Broadheads are to have at least 2 steel cutting edges and must be a minimum of 7/8 inches
- All cutting edges must be in the same plane for the complete length of the cutting surface
- The minimum draw weight is 125 pounds
- The minimum draw length is 14 inches from the knocking point of the draw string to the front of the bow
- All are required to have positive mechanical safety devices
We try our very best to ensure all of the info we provide is completely accurate. If we have missed an update, please let us know. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.