Our goal is to provide accurate information concerning the regulations for crossbow hunting in Iowa. These mandates are updated quite frequently and we may have missed one. Be sure that you check with your local government before hinting in Iowa with a crossbow. If you are not aware of how this is done, you may contact us for assistance.
Make sure to checkout our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Regulations in Iowa
Disabled hunters may obtain a crossbow hunting permit to harvest turkey and/or deer. Permanently disabled persons need only submit one application. Those who are temporarily disabled must submit an application to obtain a temporary hunting permit. This temporary permit is only valid for four months starting from the date of which it was issued. This permit may be renewed, if applicable, at that time.
The Iowa Administrative Code 571-15 (PDF) defines disabled person as a person who has a physical handicap of the upper extremities which makes it impossible to shoot a bow and arrow. This is to include difficulties in reaching or lifting with arms as well as fingering and handling.
- Residents who are 70 years of age and older may obtain a permit for harvesting antlerless deer permit for use statewide.
- The word crossbow indicates a weapon which consists of a bow mounted transversely on a frame or stock and designed to shoot an arrow, bolt, or quarrel by releasing the string. The trigger should be mechanical or electronic and possess a functional safety.
- It is not lawful to harvest turkey or deer with crossbows that are designed to be fired with one hand or with pistol grips.
- The projectiles used with crossbows for harvesting deer must be equipped with broadheads which are designed with at least 3 blades.
- Explosives and/or chemicals may not be used with broadheads or arrows.
- There are no current minimum diameter for broadheads or draw weights for bows.
The data provided above is as accurate as possible to our knowledge. It is still possible that there may be an error. Should you discover an error in the above data please inform us so that we may correct it.