Welcome to our Wyoming crossbow hunting regulations page. We cannot guarantee that our content is completely void of mistakes or errors. All state hunting regulations change and are updated on a regular basis. We strongly advise you to contact the local state government or the Wyoming Game and Fish Department to confirm the validity of our page content. If you are not sure of how to contact these departments in your area, send us an email so we may provide you with instructions.
Make sure to check out our list of top 5 recommended crossbows for hunting in the USA if you’re looking to get started.
Crossbow Regulations in Wyoming
- Leverage gaining devices are prohibited in the state of Wyoming; however, certain disabled hunters may obtain a permit to use leverage gaining devices from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department.
- No hunter is allowed to harvest trophy or big game with a crossbow during any special archery season without first purchasing an archery hunting permit as well as the proper hunting license.
- Hunters are not required to obtain special archery permits for harvesting small game or game birds with crossbows. They do need to have the required hunting license for that specific species.
- All hunters seeking to harvest trophy game are required to display fluorescent hunter orange in the form of a shirt; hat; jacket; sweater; or vest so that it is visible to other hunters. The same is required when harvesting pheasant upon Wyoming Department Wildlife Management Areas. This is not required for harvesting game birds or small game; however, it is strongly advised.
- Remember that a pheasant management stamp must be obtained to harvest pheasant upon WDWMAs.
- Crossbows must have a draw weight of no less than 90 pounds.
- They must have a draw length of no less than 14 inches from the front of the crossbow to the rear of the string while in the cocked position.
- Crossbows must feature a functioning, positive mechanical safety.
- Bolts must be no less than 16 inches.
- The cutting edges must be no less than 1 inch in width.
- Cutting edges must be sharpened steel.
Changes to Regulations
If our information is incorrect or no longer valid we greatly apologize for our error. Please drop us a line or two telling us which updates we have missed. Upon receipt, we will confirm the information, and then make the proper updates to our page. Thank you so much for your valuable time and effort.